Monday, July 30, 2007

The Pen IS Mightier than the Sword


This writing lark is a bit of a strange thing. Last night I sat here with my mind a total blank whilst all day I had been posting various stories and other contributions on the few Digital Spy forum threads to which I subscribe.

I'm very flattered by what people say yet I seem to be a reactive scribbler rather than a proactive writer. Give me a stimulus and I can write away without even thinking about it, but to sit here and make up something out of nothing is far more difficult. Several people, some of quite high intellectual repute, have suggested I write to make money but I fear that the niche in which I feel I belong doesn't exist outside of my head. I am in awe of certain writers and know that I can't ever aspire to their brilliance - and I'm afraid that I can only do something of which I am 100% happy. Maybe I've said this before, but I neither regret or wish to change anything that I have ever written. I was once asked by a very good friend of mine if I had ever read any Bill Bryson books? When I replied that Bryson was one of my favourite writers, he told me that our styles were very similar. Possibly, my greatest ever compliment.

From choice, I would rate Terry Pratchett as my favourite author. Whilst I have all his books I am presently trying to collect them as first editions. The man is amazing and I would give a lot to have such a fertile, witty and subtle mind. <

I can hide behind all of my personae and, in a strange kind of way, become them for the duration of whatever I am writing. Perhaps I feel it's safer being something other than myself? I well remember, many years ago, being asked to take part in some amateur dramatics. The very thought of appearing in front of several hundred people was sufficient to reduce me to a gibbering wreck but I agreed to do some backstage work.

One evening, I was cajoled into reading a part during a rehearsal and found that I could shrug off my own psyche and become someone else. After that, I was away! I often wish I still "trod the boards" but the nearest I've got lately is writing a pantomime. Who knows what the future holds however?

Writing is a powerful medium and newspapers abuse their privilege enormously. Some time ago, when there was still MIRAS tax relief on mortgages, the Telegraph had a long and vituperative article on how the threshold of £30,000 should be increased. It was a little while later that I was told that the author of the article had just applied for a mortgage of £40,000!

Again, a classic example is on this year's Big Brother. One contestant, Carole, is portrayed by careful editing of the Highlights Show, as a caring, motherly, figure who spends her time selflessly looking after the others. The truth, if one watches the actual events as they occur, is that she is a scheming, possessive, controlling person who tries to influence and play off everybody to her own advantage. For reasons best known to themselves, the production team choose to favour her in this way and therefore totally mislead millions of people. I know that, in the general scheme of things, this is of little import but it takes on a greater meaning when you place writing in the context of history.

History is written by the victors. We read of past events and believe what we read. Just imagine if WW2 had turned out differently. What would our generation believe, because it sure as hell would be a completely different set of words than those we see, and believe, now?

Words are powerful and, far too often, abused, manipulated and distorted. The words I tend to write create enjoyment and happiness. God forbid that I should ever have the responsibility of using them as a serious tool.

No comments: