Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I'm Not a Celebrity - Keep me out of there!

Why do so many people thirst for the lives of the rich, the famous and the infamous? Magazines and TV are full of their most intimate details:one week building them up and the next knocking them down. Is it an inherent inquisiteveness, a wish to see how others live? Maybe it’s just an interest in what makes others tick? Sadly, I think the main reason is a desire to escape from their own lives, a general dissatisfaction with one’s own lot. Ironically, it’s probably the everyday person who has the real stories to tell. Not about the jet set living or the relationships of the so-called "stars" but the sheer bloody effort of ambition, achievement, frustration and the eternal search for that special something that makes us all think that our life has some sort of purpose.

I was like many people before Big Brother 2007 commenced. Outwardly ridiculing the concept of a bunch of people desperate for fame and fortune, whilst secretly looking forward to see the mix of social misfits, emotional cripples and assorted freaks that were being prepared for public humiliation.

I've puzzled for ages about why these people would wish to subject their lives to such a microscopic examination? By now, they must know that, whilst they are incarcerated, the media will crucify them with facts, both real and imagined, about their lives, their habits and their past. Is it because they really believe that they will become famous or is it just a desire to be part of the media spotlight for a brief moment of time?

My television appearances have been few and far between: the back of my head when I was a choirboy during a Songs of Praise back in the early '60s, part of a crowd in an Eric Sykes show and an afternoon of TV glory once at Hickstead when I was standing by the show ring entrance. I have to be honest, that's been quite enough for me. I have no desire to scream and wave at a camera as it pans past me, no lust for stardom as the next Sir Trevor MacDonald (and that's another thing, why in God's name do newsreaders achieve celebrity status?). OK, I'll admit I would kill to be a panellist on Q.I. but that's another story.

Maybe I am just as much a seeker of status otherwise I wouldn't publish a blog? This is something I do because I want to , possibly even need to, but I don't seek superstardom as a result. I do it because I enjoy it and because there are lots of thoughts I need to unload for the sake of my own (dubious) sanity.

Anyway, back to Big Brother: On the forums (fora?), that have sprung up on the internet, many words are written about the programme. Digital Spy tends to be one of the best apparently (by reputation - I've never dared ventured elsewhere) and there are undoubtedly some extremely thoughful and intelligent contributors. There are plenty of others that put in their sixpennorth who can also make a valid point but there are two other (small) groups with which I have problems.

The first of these are the posters who seem to harbour a fierce loyalty towards one housemate or another, almost transferring their own lives into that of their chosen one. Again, is this a dissatisfaction with their lot to such a degree that the transference, in some way, provides them with an escape from reality? These are, after all, mere people in the house. People just like themselves, apart from the fact that they are now on Big Brother and therefore they have attained the Holy Grail of "celebrity".

The other group are also seekers of fame. Their search for this is manifested by deliberately provoking reaction by their words and I find that remarkably sad. Maybe because I love words, I love to write and I love humour and the pleasure it can bring, I get very vexed by people using words to upset others merely for the sake of it.And another thing whilst I'm on the subject! Why, when an opening post is so obviously stupid or a wind-up, do people respond to it? OK, some will post a dismissive or funny comment but others just propagate the whole thing by getting on their high horse about it (a bit like I'm doing now - sorry!). I know about freedom of speech etc. etc. but aaaaaaaargh! It's getting late and I think it's time for my Horlicks, hence the rant.

Predominantly though, the forums are a great place.Where else can you safely discuss whatever you want with whomsoever you want? The anonymity of sex, race, age, creed or colour is an empowering thing and I am sure many friendships have been formed which have enriched lives to some degree or other. I write there because it's safe. If I were to write a book, for example, there will be tangible proof of success or failure whereas the threads provide a medium for expression from which one can withdraw without any further effect.

But still I sit here, watching the House and waiting for something to happen. I still don't know why I do it but I will stand up and say " My name is Graham and I watch Big Brother"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The forums (fora?) are a top place. You merely have to read to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Your letters thread is brilliant wheat. Keep up the good work. :D