Saturday, July 14, 2007

From Bad to Verse

I've always liked playing with words and the nice thing about verse is that you can let your mind wander free. Am I strange in that I have favourite words? Throb, schadenfreude, syzygy, dichotomy and cotyledon are my current ones although trying to put them all together might just be a bit tricky!

Here are some other examples of me playing with words:

Philosophical Ramblings

E=MC2 said Einstein one occasion.
Depression and repression (cubed)
Is my own life’s equation.
Nietzsche, Hobbes and Wittgenstein
Philosophise all day,
Why can’t I put it all in place
And find the words to say?
I really feel I’ve got no choice
But Yes! That’s it, of course -
Forget the loss of voice, just put
Descartes before the hoarse!


UFO

Rejection gives dejection and ejection of direction.
No direction needs correction
Not circumspection, but perception.
Without this vast collection
Is contraception of the mind,
Which leads to close encounters
Of the most unpleasant kind.

I remember at grammar school, the only educational book I was ever remotely interested in was a dictionary and I can still remember the first sentence I ever read on my own as a young kid. It was in a Dan Dare book and it said "Look out, Dan, or they'll fry us into crisps." Mind you, this thing with words has had its embarrassments.

I can recollect at infants school, I was very proud to be the first one who could spell a swear word. Of course, I told all my friends and we embarked on a campaign of chalking it throughout the school. Sadly, I hadn't quite got it spelt correctly and I still picture Miss Palmer, Miss Conn et al, sitting in the staffroom and wondering why the word "sit" was appearing everywhere?

Nuff said!

No comments: