Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Little Bit of Me!

Now, as you all know (and presumably concur, otherwise you wouldn't be reading this), I use the internet a lot for a number of reasons. I sometimes try and picture other people sitting there in their anonymity and wonder just how near to the truth I sometimes get.

I had the idea of making a brief video of "my space" just so that anybody interested or nosey enough can see part of my real world. It's hardly Tarantino (no blood) or Spielberg (no great visual effects): in fact, it's a very wobbly video taken with a normal camera and with a croaky voiceover. The one thing it does do though is take away the anonymity of cyber-contact and, hopefully, gives a bit more insight into the reality of .......well, reality.

The internet is a great way to hide oneself and create a whole new personality. From what I have seen, it gives some people a confidence that is maybe lacking in their real world and, with luck, crosses over to have a real affect in their lives. The danger, of course, is that it replaces real life. Both Bertie and I know that this won't happen to us!

I wonder if, one day in the future, popping round to see friends will be replaced by cyber visiting where all are clustered around their monitors? No more having to go out on a cold night, no more frantic tidying, no more drink-drive problems - all you do is stay at home and indulge in cyber intercourse. One of the main advantages would be if the company is boring......"Oh dear, the PC's gone down!" And think how much less traffic there would be on the road too.

You may laugh but who would have thought 20 years ago, the effect that the internet would have on our lives? Shopping has changed irrevocably, knowledge has increased with the advent of the great god, Google and, as an added bonus, there are no longer mail shots from the likes of the Encylopaedia Britannica dropping through the door. We can watch missed TV programmes, forget the hassle of writing and posting hand-written letters and find music and media never before thought possible.

It's like mobile phones; you walk down a street and there will be numerous people jabbering into their phones. Just how many of those calls are really that important? Has it increased social activity or is it just a means of passing the time as one is wandering? Will we all, one day, lose the art of personal social interaction or am I just being cynical?

Technology has a lot to answer for. It's the boon as well as the bane of our lives but, whatever one's view, it's undoubtedly here to stay.

Anyway, back to the video. Here it is for what it's worth........Welcome to Bassett Towers!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Graham

Was really touched that you felt you could share your video with us. It was lovely to see mission control. Lovely voice over too.

Janetxxx

Mikey said...

So that's what you sound like! :)

And that place is waaaaayyyy too tidy!

Thanks Graham - I know you even better now.

An absolute pleasure matey. :)

Mike

Flower said...

Hi Mr Basset
Just popping by to say loved that video..and wow! Digital SPy on the cam!! It reminds me..
I must return 'home'' soon Haha..
I used to post quite a bit but now I often lurk around in quiet anonymity! It's safer that way!
Melanie (aka Tubmonsterbirds!)
:)

Emma said...

Hello Graham..:)

You sound so different to how I imagined...Twas nice of you to show us round too.
Was lovely to see your mission control.
Im not sure I'm quite that brave yet but I'm getting there :P

Take care lovey
Emma x

Kitty said...

Oooh how exciting ... a podcast! Will you be making a Christmas broadcast? :-p

It was very nice to see your parts - hope to see more another time.

(*blush* That sounds much more rude than I intended).

Take care :-) x