Sunday, November 11, 2007

Remembrance Day 2007

In the pouring rain, many people gathered this morning to honour the dead of the last two World Wars. They came for their own particular reasons: comrades, children, relatives - or perhaps, like me, as a tribute to those that fought and died for our freedom.

I overlook the memorials and, rather than be in the body of the crowd, was able to capture the ceremony as well as take part with my own thoughts and prayers. It was a relatively small ceremony but, to me, represented all that is important about that awful thing called War. Wars are fought about what is felt to be right, for injustice and intolerance. Any war can be justified by the perpetrator but this country sacrificed the flower of its youth to give us the life which we now have and which, perhaps, at times don't appreciate.

In the conflicts of the 20th century, Britain gave selflessly. In some ways, it wasn't our fight but we did what we felt was right, we gave for what we believed in. Millions perished because of that but I have never heard any regrets about the justifications for that sacrifice. The cynics would mutter about History only being written by the winners but, irrespective of that, I looked down upon old soldiers who had God knows what memories in their minds as they stood silently, heads bowed, in the rain - and I was grateful.

It's a strange thing. The town is like many others in that it has its fair share of disenchanted and bored adolescents. They cause trouble, they keep the local glazier employed and are generally pretty intolerant of the limits of behaviour. In the 4 years I have been here, the many wreaths and tributes around the war memorials have remained completely undisturbed and that is quite something.

Wars aren't just about large-scale conflicts; we all fight our own battles in Life and I know just how difficult that can be. Perhaps even more difficult in some ways, as these small battles make us feel alone and vulnerable. One of the things to bear in mind though is the realisation that people do care and the support that they willingly give - want to give, in fact. Compromise to avoid confrontation should always be the primary goal but we, like those before us, sometimes have to fight. Whether it be the bully, the principle, the seemingly inevitable or even our own fears, we have to stand up for what we believe in and battle our way through.

To those presently undergoing their own particular battles, be strong and take comfort from those around you.

As I looked down, I saw some older women. Perhaps bitter that they had been deprived of their husbands and sweethearts but, no doubt, proud that they had the courage to fight for what they thought was right. It was a sobering time and put into perspective the times I played at soldiers as a kid or when I watch war movies on the TV. Remembrance Day is, to me, not a glorification of war but a salutary reminder of the realities of life. A time where life is put into perspective, a time when I am thankful for those that gave, a time to hope for a more peaceful future but also a time where I feel encouraged to carry on fighting my own personal battles as well as those of the people that I love. Those long-departed ordinary men and women gave their lives for our freedom. I for one intend to justify that.

We will remember them.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

what a beautiful sentiment. i always believe we should never forget those who made sacrifices for us, and those who continue to do so. Some people also forget the 'old guy' down the road who now looks frail has such interesting stories to tell.
The majority of people i believe are good but have difficulty trusting due to past life events which is understandable.
((((big hug)))) to anyone having a difficult time at the moment it will get better. Trust in your friends and let them in to help its what friends do x

Anonymous said...

That is very true, and so beautifully written. My smalls and I watched the ceremony from the Cenotaph on tv this morning. I explained to them why we should observe the silence - as a mark of respect, and a sign of our thanks and gratitude for the enormity of what was given and sacrificed.

I want you to know that that piece of writing touched me.

Thank you. x

Anonymous said...

That was very touching and very poignant, Bertie. I didn't see any of the ceremonies myself, but I always give my own private thanks at this time of year. And it's always nice to be reminded that the support of friends is there in times of difficulty.