Friday, April 25, 2008

If Music be the Food of Love..................

I figured it was time to do some more music for my juke box. Actually, I was depressed having seen Eastenders and, now that the lovely Heather is married off to Minty, I needed something to cheer me up...........I'm trying to get over her loss but it's tough. She follows a long list of women I have placed on pedestals and who have missed their chance. The likes of Helen Shapiro, Lena Zavaroni, Francesca McAlea (1st year, Junior School) and Kylie could all have won the great jackpot of love if they'd played their cards right but I shall get over Heather as I have got over the others.

I always go through the angst barrier selecting blog music. It has, essentially, to be special to me but also I want readers to enjoy and, maybe, think about what they hear (small moment of panic as I suddenly think of anyone reading switching off straight away and I do it all in vain!).

This latest selection comes with a list of reasons why each piece has been chosen. Maybe it's of interest, maybe not? Here goes anyway:

Green Manalishi - Fleetwood Mac
I went to a band rehearsal tonight and they were trying out the Judas Priest version of this. The reason why it's here is to demonstrate just how many good songs I've forgotten about - this being a supreme example.

SWLABR - Cream
A trademark offering from the first (and greatest) supergroup. I could have taken any track from the album 'Disraeli Gears' and been happy to have it here. The title is an acronym of "She Was Like a Bearded Rainbow"; like the song's lyrics, it's not supposed to make much sense!

Hang on to a Dream - The Nice
Brian Davison, the drummer, died this week so this is a tribute to him. I fell in love with their music very early on and they performed at the first gig I ever saw, along with Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Move and Amen Corner. Not a bad 17/6d worth! Although people tend to remember Emerson's time afterwards with Greg Lake and Carl Palmer, The Nice were pioneers of progressive music and stretched musical boundaries.

Neil Young - Heart of Gold


The first single I ever bought. I fell in love with that song and, subsequently, Young has played an enormous part in my musical life. A man of total integrity, he continues to explore different styles of music which, although not always to my taste, never fail to provoke thought, emotion and excitement.

Pink Floyd - Grantchester Meadows
From the album 'Umma Gumma', this was the height of Floyd's exploratory (and chemically induced) phase. The live tracks are just amazingly weird and I well remember hearing them around a friend's house, suitably in the mood (shall we say!). Meadows is such a contrast and I love its gentleness.

Sky - Tuba Smarties
Sky were a band of talented musicians, including classical guitarist John Williams. I saw them at Brighton and this particular track lives in my memory. Ex-Blue Mink bassist and sought-after session man, Herbie Flowers, wandered on stage dressed as Noddy and, carrying a tuba festooned in fairy lights, proceeded to play this. The whole audience were in hysterics and it was a magical moment of utter frivolity, given the musicianship displayed both before and subsequently.


Sky - Toccata
Sky made 4 albums and this is a more typical example of their style. Combining both their own compositions as well as classical adaptions, they are hidden jewels in the treasure chest of music.

Phil Collins - Another Day in Paradise
I seem to be drawn to emotive songs. This makes me sad.

Neil Young - Fuckin' Up
Neil at his grungiest best. Backed by Crazy Horse, they seem to gel wonderfully together. How strange that a guy whose voice is not his strongest asset and 3 musicians who are not technically the most proficient produce such hard-hitting, archetypal rock music. I also kind of relate to the lyrics hence this particular choice.

Nick Drake - Time Has Told Me
Just a wonderful, wonderful singer and lyricist - worthy of any music list

John Mayall - Country Road
From 'Jazz Blues Fusion', arguably my favourite album ever. Mayall has put together an incredible collection of musicians who seem to have found a perfect blend of the two styles. The line-up also holds the distinction of being the only one of his many line-ups which made a second album. Those of you that know the frequency of Mayall's personnel changes will appreciate how happy he must have been with them!

Jimi Hendrix - Castles Made of Sand
I think this is the saddest song I have ever heard. The simplicity of the lyrics seems to emphasise an overwhelming sense of hopelessness of Life. Probably the most-played song of mine over the years (but gladly decreasingly); I know that when I reach for this, all is definitely not right in my world.

Crosby Stills & Nash - Long Time Gone


I love their harmonies and the skill with which they can write a song of protest and make it beautiful as well as meaningful. This track showcases the voice of Steve Stills, which is just amazing.

Neil Young - All Along the Watchtower
From 'Road Rock', a real family concert which included his wife, Pegi and his half-sister, Astrid alongside Chrissie Hynde, this track has grown on me over time. I guess once I never thought anyone could even attempt to match Hendrix' version but I much prefer this to Dylan's.

Traffic - Riding High
Any Traffic track is worth including, purely for Stevie Winwood's wonderful voice. My own particular CD of this album ('Far From Home') is a promo which was given to me by their manager so it's got a special little place in my collection.

Ian Dury - Itinerant Child
I wept when Dury died. His lyrics were not only poetry but an observational journey through life. He made people smile, he didn't give a damn yet he cared - an epitaph which I would gratefully accept.



Well, that's about it. I hope you enjoy them. Use the playlist and have a meander through my choices. Your comments will, as always, be appreciated.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wot, no Homer Simpson, singing 'Spider Pig'? :-O

Seriously, I love music - simply could not live without it. Some of those songs you have listed I know. Some I don't. When the kids are at school, I shall play your full list and see how they wash over me. Thanks for choosing with care, and for listing your thoughts on each track. Cool post.

:-) x