Thursday, April 30, 2009

Art and Crafty

What the Duck!


'Ello me dearios. Gosh, that was Rambling Sid Rumpo from the days of steam wireless and Round the Horne. Oh the bliss of Sunday lunchtimes - roast cow, huuuuuge Yorkshire puddings, perhaps a soupcon of Blue Nun if my parents allowed me and then an hour of comedy; The Navy Lark, Round the Horne, The Clitheroe Kid, Educating Archie with Peter Brough as radio's only ventriloquist (!!) and of course, the inimitable Goon Show.

As usual, I digress so will march onward with an update on the events of the last couple of weeks.

I've been ploughing on with my PhotoShop bits and am thoroughly enjoying my first faltering attempts at art. I seem to be hung up on changing the scale of things and distorting size (OMG, what would Freud say?). I've got a stream on Flickr should anybody wish to waste a few moments - here's the link.

I have to say, as a beginner to the joys of Flickr, it's a truly marvellous place to search for photos and I found a wonderful selection from a group set up in my local area. It's cost me many an hour just browsing Flickr. It seems that whatever search words you enter brings forth beautiful pictures and it makes my own efforts look truly amateur. Still, it's made me start taking my camera out with me so this (apparently scorching) summer should see me adjusting my exposure with monotonous regularity!

HippoGriff

I've also another admission to make - I am now a student once more (pauses to drink cider, eat a tin of cold baked beans and find duffel coat). I've now got 10 weeks to become a web wizard via the Open University so hopefully, in the relatively near future, I shall be posting from my own website. I've had it for several years although never done anything about it until now and it presently displays very little. You could be one of the very first to visit it and be entered into a free draw to win a holiday for 2 in Bermuda (closing date 30 April 2009). Just visit www.papermoneyworld.co.uk and leave a £25 donation to cover admin costs and I'll announce the winner sometime or other.

I got 3 loads of bumph from the OU today and I really hope the course is easier than the admin - none of it makes any sense whatsoever.

Nothing much else to write about at the moment although the urge to get back to my flying is becoming stronger by the day. If you recall, I had reached Karachi and there I am marooned. I watched a documentary on Discovery the other day about a WW1 flier called Major James McCudden who rose from air mechanic to Major and became one of the top aces with 57 kills. Apparently, it was forbidden to keep any sort of journal in those days but he did and this was eventually published in the form of a book entitled "Flying Fury". I am reading it at the moment and am stunned at the simplicity of aerial warfare at the time and the nonchalance of his narrative. It could be said that it was "doctored" to make it more readable but tragically, he died in 1918 and was thus unable to change one word. The irony was that his death was caused by engine failure of his SE5A and not in combat. Major McCudden VC, DSO & Bar, MC & Bar, MM, Croix de Guerre survived his 2 brothers who were both also pilots and killed in battle - he was only 23.


We talk of our soldiers coming home from Afghanistan and Iraq as heroes - they chose their career and undoubtedly are consummate professionals. Reading of the privations, the desperate conditions and the appalling decisions of their leaders puts the soldiers, sailors and airmen of WW1 in a toally different league to the fighting men of today. I salute them both - but have no difficulty in choosing which era in which I would prefer to serve.

3 comments:

Kitty said...

I am LOVING your artwork with PhotoShop. I'm afraid I have given up with it - for now. I'll return to it at some point, I expect. Looks like you're having great fun with it - the hippo picture is truly wonderful. Can I ask - how did you get the hippo picture to publish that large on Blogger? I would sometimes like the pictures at my blog to be biggerer, but it seems they have a 'set' size (or am I just being incredibly dense? Again).

Woohoo for your becoming a student again - will you be giving up washing and ironing for 10 weeks? Drinking yourself into a stupor at weekends? Trying to find novel ways to charm your tutor into giving you top marks?

Great post Bertie - keep up the good work.

Take care :-) x

The Thoughts of Chairman Bertie said...

Thanks Kitty :)

Sorry to hear about PhotoShop - keep at it!

Re. photos, if you use a Flickr account and click on whichever picture you want at it's largest size, you'll see the HTML code beneath. Just copy that and paste it into your blog wherever you want to position it (and don't forget to do centre it). Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

remember I sent you this link?
http://www.worth1000.com/
Go for it lad!
You have a fantastically creative talent, with wit - which is the key!!!
I lurvee the Flickr stuff!
I wish I had your drive...
Plausey x