Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Sweet Sensations

Those oh so lucky persons on the internet that know me are aware of some of my little foibles....Hang on, I think I'll restart this before the rude comments come flying!


Some of my dear internet friends are aware that I have one particular vice. Well, when I say vice, it's more an all-consuming passion. An act for which I crave but, once completed, leaves me disappointed and longing for the days of my youth when the enjoyment was so much more fulfilling (and the vice in question was much bigger!).

Were I of the stature of Shakespeare then I would compose an ode in adoration but I'm not. Having said that, I shall do one anyway as, like Shakespeare, I hathaway with words!


ODE TO CARAMAC

Oh toffee chocolate dream, I find you really yummy
Let me take off all your wrap and and send you to my tummy.
I crave your velvet goodness, your body sweet and sticky
I'll eat at least a dozen bars (but then I feel quite sicky).


I hadn't seen a Caramac for many years until, one day, we ventured into a sweet shop in Brighton's North Laine. It was like stepping into a confectionery Tardis as I gazed (well, drooled) at the sweet tobacco, cinder toffee, coconut mushrooms and a plethora of other delights. I travelled back in time to when I used to wander into the local sweet shop with my 6d.

Oh the decisions I had to make. Did I invest in Bazooka Joe bubble gum? Should I blow the lot on aniseed balls (16 for 1d)? One of those new Topic bars (which, in those days were a damn sight bigger)? Sweet cigarettes so I could look cool? Spangles? A Palm toffee bar or perhaps a Frys Chocolate Cream bar (fruit, not mint)? I well remember when I had my first Caramac and all the rest paled into insignificance.

It was about 3 times the size it is now and was a lot smoother. Current aficionados will no doubt agree that it has a slightly grittier texture and suckability has deteriorated. Having said that, it's still wonderful and I am aware that others share this view. Indeed, I am aware of a simmering Caramac war following the misappropriation of a bar recently.

The matter is currently sub judice but I'd just like to say Hi to Jules and Lisa at this point!

Oh heck, I've gone into confectionery reminiscence mode!

Jamboree Bags - sweets, toys and cards, all for the princely sum of 3d.
Spangles - lots of varieties but the best were the Old-English. Worst? No contest - Acid Drop.
Penny Wrigglers - large fruit jelly snakes.
Liquorice pipes - oh, bliss!


For those who want to wander down sweetie Memory Lane, have a look here.

Now, of course, you also had the posh stuff which my parents had and I would gaze at in abject frustration. My fingers would hover over the box, knowing full well that my Mother knew exactly what was in there at any given time yet still tempted to take the risk. Weekend Assortment was always the biggest temptation as were NewBerry Fruits. They were jellies with a liquid centre encased in a sugar shell and, if you were really careful, you could nibble away all the jelly and be left with this little fruity bomb of intense flavour.


Of course, this childhood (and adult) preoccupation with sweets and chocolate has resulted in a corpulent, unfit Bassett but would I go through it all again? What a silly question!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many happy memories there Bertie. My favourites were Sherbet filled flying saucers, collecting Card Sets by buying a piece of bubble gum (I particulary remember the American Civil War Set) and of course Sherbet Fountains.

Thanks for the nostalgia blast

Kitty said...

Liquorice shoelaces ... mmmmm, and the red version which we called Firemen's Hoses (for which I still have an affection ;-) ). I also liked Toffos, and Opal Fruits, and fruit Polos. Shrimps were nice, and those milk bottle shaped chewy sweets ... oooh, so yummy. Pineapple chunks, pear drops, butterscotch ... oh dear, I need to get some sweets now!

Nice blog - good to see you back.

Take care - x

PS My word verification is 'redhn' ... looks like it was made for Rosey!

The Thoughts of Chairman Bertie said...

Thanks guys, glad I stirred a few memories.

I remember Civil War cards as well as ones called Flags of the World which had phonetic spellings of some of the words from that particular country. Kow-goo-me springs to mind as (possibly) Dutch for chewing gum.

Fruit Toffos - luvverly!

Anonymous said...

Oh, just seen this. How could I miss it? I remember being allowed a 6d mix for doing the shopping, but no bubble gum allowed.

I was always awarded a box of 'Weekend' for babysitting, I was talking to my mum about them the other week. What happened to them?

I think the Caramac wars are serious......:)