Monday, September 27, 2010

Facebook - An Appreciation

Gosh, I seem to have got back into this blogging lark with a vengeance. One thing that has encouraged me is the reaction from some of my Facebook friends - and I use the word "friends" deliberately.


Once upon a time I looked on Facebook as a way for children to destroy their literary skills even further, imagining the majority of postings along the lines of Soz for bunking skul cuz i wuz w8ing 4 mi gf 2 call lol A couple of friends of mine were playing a game called Farm Town and so I decided to have a quick peek.

I got quite hooked and felt quite happy in my rural idyll. I was curious and interested to read Facebook posts of people I didn't now from all four corners of the world (not that a sphere can have corners but you can't call me pedantic). Well, actually you can insofar as it is physically possible if not ............. ah, I'm being pedantic aren't I? Anyway, I read sensible posts, funny posts, some downright cranky posts and it made me realise that there was a whole new world on Facebook.

I was then introduced to something called Mafia Wars: a game of families and fights where one can undertake tasks, help others and, should one so desire, rob, steal, kill and similarly piss off other players. At first I was reticent about asking perfect strangers to play with me (!) but one needs to liaise to progress. As I joined with other Mafia members I got to recognise names and interact to some degree or other. I got to see people's real life problems, worries, joys and successes as they saw fit to share them and, through that interaction, those names took on shapes. There are people on Facebook of extraordinary generosity whose joy is through helping and to those ...... Joo, Michelle A, Shay L, Bethany D, Marilyn S, Josie D, Mark J among others, I say heartfelt thanks.

Others say little but each day they are there to help and are now familiar names. Susan, David, Sandra, Sparky, Maureen, Barbara, Dolly , Steven .....many, many more. You are all stars.

Finally, there are the special crew whom I knew before Facebook and are my rocks. Kitty, Balders, Janet, Chockie, Lisa, Poblet, Mike, Mel, letsy, Rosey, plausey etc. I love you guys.

For anybody whom I have omitted, you know who you are and you know you are special.

What? I hear you cry, there has been no mention of your dear (but scary) twin sister, Bunty. Of course, she is almost a part of me [;)] and she has provided many a chortle, especially when her muff got infested with moths. Poor love, didn't realise that our American cousins use the word as a euphemism for something totally different!

Maybe I'll leave the last words to her - over to you, Bunty.

Ooh I say, Bertie dear, you've rather caught me on the hop. I'm actually busy helping the village operatic society rehearse for their performance of Cats - I'm rather afraid it sounds like the cats in question are slowly being strangled at the moment but I'm sure it'll be alright on the night. Now, what do you want me to say? Oh, the nice people on Facebook? Yes, well, awfully nice most of them. Get Brunhilde, my PA, to send them all a bottle of sherry. Now, bugger orf, I'm busy, Bless you all, dears.

3 comments:

Kitty said...

Awww, nice post Bertie. There are indeed some lovely people on Facebook. Complete 'strangers' who are happy to share their mafia/farming gifts with others who play the game.

To all those who think people one 'meets' on the internet are all cranks and criminals with no intent other than to harm, upset and irritate ... I'll wager you have never interacted the way some of us interact.

Keep writing, Bertie! :) x

Anonymous said...

What the Wrinkled (!) One said ^^^^ :D :D

I'm All Shook Up - uh u huh!!!!!
I'm All Shook Up :D :D

Let's Rock and Roll Pilgrims :) :)

Cheers
Rosey X X X

Anonymous said...

aww fab blog Bertie :D
there are indeed some lovley people on FB who i feel i know so well

janet xx