Saturday, November 08, 2008

An Interjection



After a long but very pretty flight from Palermo to Athens last night, I retired to bed dreaming dreams of azure seas with the quiet rumble of a well-tuned engine lulling me into the arms of Morpheus ...........(actually, truth be told, I lay awake for ages reading "The Last Enemy" by Richard Hillary before finally drifting off at about 5am but it's not quite so romantic).

The reason for this little interjection in my global circumnavigation is to point out a comment from my last blog. It said this:

glad to see you are enjoying my Around The World trip! please keep us updated as you fly all the legs!

It took me months to design the route so it is really exciting to see someone who has bought the package flying it and clearly enjoying it!

all the best
Jane Whittaker
(designer - Around The World In 80 Flights package)

I have to say I was more than a little chuffed that the designerof the whole concept had taken the trouble to leave a comment. It is almost like the technological equivalent of my Terry Pratchett signed first editions so thank you, Jane.


The software concerned is called Around the World in 80 Flights and is published by First Class Simulations. The company do some superb FSX add-ons and I totally recommend them to any armchair pilots out there. It's no coincidence that, with Christmas coming up, I left their home page open on my PC when Mrs B was around. Incidentally, assuming it is the same Jane Whittaker, she also writes some excellent articles for PC Pilot magazine and the thought that she is a "proper" writer and also, judging from her articles, a very competent aviatrix fills me with fear of her perusing my own meagre efforts.

Once I finish this epic journey (although I may well become another St. Exupery if I fly as badly as I did whilst landing at Athens in the early hours this morning: an episode in my burgeoning flying career which is best forgotten*), I intend to actually get off my derriere and plan flights around both South America and China and the Far East.

Of course, if First Class Simulations want to take on the concept and require beta testers, advisers etc.....................!


* Imagine a cross between a crab and a kangaroo. Forget "The Few", this more more like "The Phew" when I eventually touched down!

No comments: