Sunday, October 05, 2008

Thoughts for the Day


I know I've said this before but I really do think that blog writing for me has come to a natural end - either temporarily or permanently.

Ennui seems to have overtaken my life and I can't really be arsed to even get annoyed about too many things as is my rightful role. Meldrewitis (as it is clinically known) seems to have either tucked its head below the parapet or perhaps I am so annoyed at everything, there comes a natural neutralisation of all things rantable. Allow me to give you an example:

Saturday night; totally bored, TV full of capering terpsichorean 'celebrities', people's home movies showing somebody dropping a bucket of paint on their head whilst decorating in a desperate attempt to have us believe that they just happened to always keep video records of redecorating and it's nothing to do with causing £300 worth of damage and hassle to try and win £250! Personally, I would rather pay £250 not to have that idiotic buffoon Harry Hill on my screen. I was bored with sitting in front of a PC. I had spent the day realising that my recent gastro-enteritis was merely an hors d'oeuvre to the real thing and therefore not at my best.

Anyway, I decided to do a jigsaw. I quite like jigsaws as long as they are not the normal landscapes, flowers, soulful-eyed animals or other sundry charity shop rejects. Something that is vibrant, makes one think or has a picture of Felicity Kendal in her prime tend to be on my list of faves. Perhaps something like a Wasgij?


The one I selected was 1000 pieces and I sat down to the task of sorting the edges. This is, of course, totally boring but necessary. I patiently sorted and also religiously turned all the pieces up the right way until I was finished and noticed that the edge pieces pile was a tad small. I grant you, I might miss the odd one or two but when a 1000 piece jigsaw only yields 23 edge pieces then something is definitely amiss. The sheer calumny of such a deed suddenly hit me - some evil swine had deliberately sabotaged MY jigsaw! Charity shop purchases might sometimes have a piece missing, occasioned by a negligent previous owner, but to deliberately take out a large percentage of the edge had the effect of equating clipping a wing mirror whilst driving along to racing a 4x4 through a crowded shopping centre wearing a blindfold.


Now, going back to my opening comments, I would normally shout, swear, borrow a cat to kick etc but not this time. I merely sat there and sighed. Let me say though, whoever you are, you are a cad!

If you are listening to my latest juke box, you might notice I decided to put together a sort of prog rock compilation. Whether it's age, associations or lack of taste, I actually think some of these stand up pretty well so feel free to drift away to the strains of Soft Machine and Juicy Lucy (hands up who remembers their first album cover?)


Sundry other thoughts:

I am not normally one to apportion blame but who else has noticed that the Western economic recession was prefaced by Carol Vorderman exhorting people to hock themselves up to their eyeballs on credit? That woman has a lot to answer for!

Talking of selling out, I will say only four words: Johnny Rotten, Country Life (shakes head in despair).

I've been doing a bit of playing on PhotoShop recently in a bid to actually effect the transition from PaintShop Pro. One thing I really enjoyed was a little tutorial on repairing and colouring old black and white pictures and here are a couple of results.



I have a Wacom graphics tablet which I use and, for anyone who designs/draws/plays with graphics software, I heartily recommend their use (they make a bloody good toy for gadget freaks as well).

October: Summer over, nights drawing in, Advent calendars in the shops, cold, wet, miserable. May I be the first to say.....Bah, humbug!

Have a nice day.

3 comments:

Kitty said...

Loving the music Bertie - I don't know a lot of these, so it's great to hear new stuff.

Giving a puzzle to a charity shop with that many edge pieces missing is just mean :-( May that same person buy a book which has *selected* pages pulled out.

I'm impressed with the PS stuff - I'm afraid I'm stuck firmly with PSP, although my daughter seems to do well with PS. If one didn't have a graphics tablet would one not be able to use PS as effectively?

I'm sure your writing mojo will return - I know I've had creative peaks and troughs.

Take care :-) x

Anonymous said...

Wow - magic music Bertie
The thread is dead - no fun due some stupid maple syrupy thang.
I commiserate, folks' minds seem to become number-than-numb now.
Swines- jigsaw terrorists!
I've gone onto a 'light-working' phase again.
Loadsa lurves to you, Mrs B, and family x
Plausey x

Unknown said...

Love the photo shop outcomes Bertie :)and the music you have chosen is great. Wonder if the moons in a particular place at the moment ive felt the same boredom too with things that ive enjoyed before.

Love to you and Mrs B

Janet xxx