Sunday, September 07, 2008

Sunday Morning

Sunday morning. Nothing special - same as any other morning really.

When I was younger, I had the same dream several times over the years. I was in this old church - the type with the enormous stone columns running down it. On the side where I stood was sunlight and warmth whilst on the other side, beyond the columns, was darkness and a real feeling of evil. Not being one who really believes in dream interpretation I merely assumed it was my own sides of good and bad and a recognition thereof. Thinking about it now, perhaps the side I was on was the "bad" side, for surely good and bad can be subjective? Maybe the side which I have tried to avoid all my life is, in fact, the side to which I should have moved?

Society dictates what is good or bad. For example, cannibalism is wrong to all but the cannibal. They would sit on their island, happily nibbling their Kentucky Fried Missionary until, somehow, they had the status quo changed. They knew no different and it was the accepted norm. It's only when somebody comes along and, in whatever way, sways the balance of popular opinion and thus changes perception that guilt is born.

Freud thought guilt served to effectively regulate social behaviour although I would suggest that it also serves to crush free expression and subjugate the masses if used judiciously. How much of our lives do we lead in a virtuous way? How many people have had said of them "Oh, he led a good life"? Am I being cynical when I ask if leading a good life is because we haven't got the balls to feel guilty and are therefore taking the easy way out?

I have neither led a good life nor a bad one. I have lived a life tempered by guilts, real and imagined, and they have shaped its course. It has been a cowardly life in many ways although the only person who knew I was being a coward was the person from whom I could never escape - me! Some would say I have been caring and generous and that therefore brings us back to the reasons behind such actions. It would be interesting to see what people really thought of me throughout the years? Somehow, I don't think many would be able to answer in depth. How can I ever let others see what I cannot?

3 comments:

Kitty said...

A question of philosophy early on a Sunday morning? This is a really interesting post, because it is all down - I would think - to perspective. There are surely some things that many of us would feel were 'wrong' but that others would have no qualms over?

You speak of the dictates of society, but at what point do the opinions of a minority grow to an extent that their views are accepted as 'ok'? Hitler managed to convince hundreds of thousands of people that he was a good egg - how did he do that?

The feeling of guilt is attached to self-reproach when we feel we have transgressed. But transgressed against whom or what? Ourselves? I guess we all have our own 'paremeters' of what's ok and what's not. We can all only do what we feel is right, at the time we do it. Things change: what is ok for one time in our life might not be ok for another time in our life. Does that mean it was 'wrong' to ever do it? I don't think so. But that's just my opinion.

Regarding your last paragraph: perhaps others can see what you cannot? I know there have been times in my life when others have been able to offer an objective view, when I haven't had the slightest idea. It's the old 'can't see the wood for the trees' syndrome. I'm sure you're a good person.

Oh blimey, I've done it again - written an entire blog post in your comments box. I really must get back to blogging myself and stop hijacking the comments boxes of other bloggers. Sorry about that!

Take care :-) x

The Thoughts of Chairman Bertie said...

Cripes!

Kitty said...

:-p